Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Writing with a prompt

Time Spent: 5 hours.

Suddenly I feel like everything I do is turning into one huge blur! What did I do today?

Last week I decided I needed to do some writing prompts to get things going. Had I done anything about it yet? Nope. As I was going through my email to weed through writing contests and calls for submissions, I found one from Writer's Digest about a contest over at Fan Story.com that uses a picture as a writing prompt. It's an amazing picture, and I immediately had an idea for a story. Alrighty then, I can do this. So that's what I spent the majority of my time doing today - writing a new story. The guidelines say that the story has to be a minimum 700 words - that was the tough part. I really, REALLY wanted to make this into true flash fiction (<500 words), but I know I can do it within the required minimum. Might not be much more than that, we'll see. Anyway, I'm going to do my best to finish it up tomorrow so it can sit a day or so before I try to revise it. The contest ends March 25, so I'll have one more submission down by the end of next week. As far as writing goes today, it was very productive and I learned that I really can work with writing prompts.

Since I got out the 101 Best Websites for writers list again on Tuesday, I also spent some time going through a few more of them tonight. Found a couple of neat sites for mothers, the best one is Literarymama.com. I spent a good chunk of time going through the website, which is for mothers who also happen to be writers, or the other way around.

I've been struggling to decide which other stories I'm going to revise and submit. There are a couple that are favorites and I really want to get them out there, but I've found a few places to submit that might be appropriate for them. But I had to decide on two, maybe three, more stories to revise and submit. LitMama was a great place to find - it publishes fiction about motherhood, and I have a couple of stories that deal with that. Finding this got the process going again and I think I'm going to get out one of those stories tomorrow and start revising.

No comments: